Desktop aesthetics have come a long way; more often than not the gamer LED riddled desktops of yesteryear are getting traded up for a sleeker more stylish version and the Blinking gadgets of old are getting an overhaul as well. The new additions of higher capacity 2.5’ hard drives have brought in a new era of desktop external storage. The new smaller, and more stylish versions of the external hard drives have made backing up your data not only necessary but also a welcome addition to a desks overall tidiness. Verbatim is one company that hasn’t missed this call for style with its latest external Hard Drive the Verbatim Insight let’s get a closer look:
Provided by: Verbatim
Specifications and Features:
- Sleek piano-black finish adds style and elegance to your PC accessories
- Features an Always On LCD that display’s a personalized drive name and available free space.
- View the Always On LCD display without power
- Identify drive and free space without connecting to a PC
- Includes Nero BackItUp software*
- 5-year limited warranty
- Package Includes: InSight™ Hard Drive, USB 2.0 cable, Quick Start Guide
* Software compatible with Windows operating systems only.
- Rotational Speed - 5400 RPM
- Display - 32 x 128 pixels “always on” cholesteric display
- External Power - USB bus-powered
- Interface - One USB mini-B port
- Data Transfer Rate - USB 2.0 High-Speed: 480 Mb/s (max), USB 1.1 Full Speed: 12 Mb/s (max)
- Unit Dimensions - 5.99 in. X 3.37 in. X 0.63 in. (151.12 mm x 85.51 mm x 16.0 mm)
- Unit Weight - 0.36 lb (161.59 g)
I will be using HD Tune in order to test the Verbatim Insight against the Thermaltake Black X with a 1TB hard drive. I will also be transferring 10,100, and 500MB files onto the drives and timing them. The purpose of this test is to see if there are any inherent issues with the enclosure rather thanhow well it stacks up against the competition. The reason being is that USB only goes so fast to if there were a significant difference between the tests there would be some sort of issues hindering one of the test drives. Here are the results of this test:
USB - HDtune
|VERBATIM Insight 500GB|
USB – File Transfer Speed
|VERBATIM Insight 500GB|
Verbatim is always making great products and until now they have been (in my opinion) pretty run of the mill products. Granted their version of run of the mill is of great quality and performance it is still just your basic product which many other companies are currently producing as well. This is the first product in Verbatim’s Hard Drive line that I can truly say I find unique. Many other companies use Nero Back up or equivalent software but I have seen few companies coupling this feature along with a great package. Being able to see at a glance how much room is left on your drive is a nice bonus and I love the fact that you can customize the drive name. The ability to customize the drive name is a great feature if you want to have multiple backups and don’t want to either resort too getting non matching enclosures or having to plug the drive in just to see what its contents are. This is the ideal drive for the neurotic neat freaks out there that want everything in its place and the ability to categorize to the nth degree. Don’t get me wrong it works just dandy for the slovenly like me as well. Under my review product and junk filled piles that little my desk the InSight brings a nice glimmer of order and style to an otherwise disturbing mess.
Would I recommend this product? Yes, it is sleek, stylish, and gives you everything you need and never thought you’d need all in one.
- LCD Screen
- None that I can think of